My positive philosophy about life, things, and just about everything. "Better than most" is pretty damn good so I am not fretting about the rest.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Will I be a science project?

After my RE appt I started replaying our conversation with the Dr and realized that I wasn't that clear on our plan of action. I heard Clomid loud and clear but he also mentioned insemination (IUI). Did he recommend that for me with Clomid or as a next step? Why did he say Mark's trip to Mexico in late May was not a problem? Bad timing is a problem right?

I made an assumption of what the treatment would be (Clomid and well timed sex) so I kind of tuned out the other part.

So, I shot him an e-mail and he promptly called me to explain. I love a responsive Dr! I could never get my OB/GYN on the phone the same day (or even the same week) He explained that the treatment he proposes is Clomid AND IUI to increase the chances of the spermies getting up to my hopefully big and numerous stimulated eggies. Since Clomid decreases cervical mucus (which I don't have alot of as is) this makes sense to me. And, I am happy to have someone who wants to aggressively treat the problem.

So, I called Mark to tell him the good news - that he can go to Cabo without me ripping my hair out at home since we can "freeze him" if need be.

As I say it, it hits me that this is not romantic. But is baby making sex that romantic after all? I remember hearing about "artificial insemination" when I was young and thinking it was so "science fiction" and here I am on the verge of trying it. Who woulda thunk it?

I won't lie, the notion is a bit uncomfortable. Would doesn't dream that their child is conceived after a romantic dinner while making love on satin sheets? But, we rarely go to dinner and my sheets are cotton.

So, come May I will join the scientific community and hop on the table for a romantic interlude with a catheter. I will have finished my 9th cycle TTC so I will be plenty ready to take action to have a baby.

Maybe I can get them to play some Barry White during the procedure?

1 comment:

Josefina said...

Wow! I still see artificial insemination as something so far! but maybe isn't that far!
Well good luck, and what do you know? maybe by may you're already pregnant!!
My uncle and his wife were TTC for 12 years, 12 years! and they had been under treatment and all, and one time, they decided to go to another doctor, so they suspended the insemination treatment and all, as to wait for the other doctor. And in that meantime, they got pregnant, 100% natural! It was really a miracle as you can see, but maybe there's something with being more confident, knowing you're going to have help, so your body relaxes and gets pregnant! LOL!
Good luck!