So, I live in Southern California very near the settings of those tragic TV shows "Laguna beach", "Real Housewives of OC" and let's not forget "The OC." Not that these are reality...but...there is a level of reality to it. Yes, there is a lot of money. Yes, there are seas of silicon boobies. And, Yes Materialism is having a field day in my backyard.
I try to resist as much as I can, and I do . But some of it does start to rub off. Thank god I have graduated to a full B in pregnancy. (Sad that is takes being 8 months pregnant to hit the second letter of the alphabet.)
Anyway...Bugaboo strollers are rampant here. I have been doing my best to ignore this overpriced but oh so cute luxury item. Them seem to be everywhere I go. And, people always ask "Are you getting a Bugaboo?" Why do they ask? Even a sale gal at Babystyle was pushing one on me when I told her that it seemed crazy to pay $700-800 for a stroller. She said she had one and it was worth every penny. Now excuse me, but how much do they pay cashiers at Babystyle? Maybe I need to pursue a career in mall retail. Or, marry rich...
Anyway, I have been fighting the urge. We could afford it but I am trying to avoid it based on principle and thoughts of the other useful items I could buy with the $500 I would save if I stuck with the stroller I previously selected. I had told M about it and told him of my urges. He supports my restraint 100% and agreed to discourage me when I leaned the other way. He thinks that price is crazy.
So, sometimes I have weak moments. And, yesterday I had a brilliant idea. A gently used Bugaboo! I could indulge with less guilt. So, I found an ad in Craig's List (love that site by the way!) for a gently used Black Bugaboo Frog. This could screw up my will power. The price tag is still a hefty $500 but a savings nonetheless.
I left the scene (the computer) to have dinner with my sister and left the ad open on my computer. Well, this AM when I sit down to work there is a Post it stuck to my monitor from M that reads:
"$500 is way too much for a pretentious stroller."
Caught!
2 comments:
Well, it's a lot of money indeed! (more for us here living in a cheap country!)
But well, maaaybe if you're craving it so much...LOL..I'm really not a good adviser, being a tempted person myself!!
But you can convince your husband by saying it's for the rest of your siblings, and you will be guaranteed the best quality!!
By the way, it's pretty cool that you live nearby (or in?) that TV neighborhoods! I feel a little closer to famous people (or locations)!!! LOL...
Good luck on your trip and on these last weeks... I'm looking forward to see Skylar's pictures! and everything about your labor!
Take it easy with your job!
I didn't bother with the Boogaboo, and it is too much money for such a short time you are going to use it. But loved Cragilist. Got almost all my big ticket items from there.
Post a Comment