My positive philosophy about life, things, and just about everything. "Better than most" is pretty damn good so I am not fretting about the rest.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Listening skills

Men don't have them. Correction. Husbands don't have them. And this is made worse by TV, sports, commercials, commercials about sports, etc.

I have resigned to the fact that M tunes me out. Often. More often then he should. He knows it. He's sorry. It continues. I accept it.

I seriously don't hold it against him (most of the time) since I am a chatter box (Official title received in First Grade). I talk. I like to share things. Sometimes I feel like if I don't tell people things it didn't happen.

Funny thing is, M likes to talk too. But, I listen. I know about all his friends at work and from business school. I remind him who recently got married, who had another baby. "Guys don't talk about those things, " he says. Really? A new baby does not make it into the conversation? Even when you spent all day drinking with them at a USC tail gate? Wow, men and women are different. I can't go too long without a Skylar mention or tale. It is just such a huge part of my life.

Well anyway...this is just a lead up to a story that struck me as very funny. Last night we visited friends with a 10 day old baby girl. We were walking up their front walk, me with a lasagna in hand, M with the girl in arms. As we were walking I see a big spider web with a big spider in it, head high on M's side of the sidewalk.

I say, "Watch out for the big spider.!"

No response. (I assume he sees it)

As heeds straight for it I say, "Whoa, you are walking right into it!"

He responds, "What?! Where?!" as he nicks the side of the web with his head -- a near miss.

"It was right there."

He turns and sees it and says, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I did."

"You didn't tell me I was walking toward it."

"I said 'watch out for the spider'."

"Well you didn't say it was right where I was walking." (Scrambling to find a way to blame me without admitting he tuned me out.)

"I wouldn't have said 'watch out' I would have said -- hey look at that spider'."

But, I am convinced this is all he hears when I speak.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3842279/10491600

;)

3 comments:

eydie said...

You're a great story-teller... And that video was equal parts disturbing and hilarious.

Melissa B said...

LOLOLOLOL - I love the story. It is so true. I can relate to being tuned out! The dog video, icing on the cake. you are a funny girl M!

Maya's Mama said...

OMG funniest post ever. BTW when we first saw that clip on Talk Soup - M was infatuated and ran to the TV.