My positive philosophy about life, things, and just about everything. "Better than most" is pretty damn good so I am not fretting about the rest.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

She Works Hard for the Money

It seems as I get further along and the stress starts to subside I blog less and less. (Sorry - I will be better.) I also stop browsing the Internet message boards as much as well. I let my Fertility Friend subscription expire long ago and I never visit WebMD or Babycenter anymore. I think that is a good thing. Obsessing is never good (I know you know what I mean Josefina!)

I do still keep up with the Blogs I read because they are all extremely interesting women and I care about what happens to them.

I won't say I am totally relaxed. I have to wait a full month between appts this time as my Big u/s is scheduled 7/19. It was so reassuring seeing the baby so often, I miss it and catch myself worrying. A friend gave me the # of a private location that does u/s for $25. I have tucked the # away in case I feel really strongly that I need to take another peak before the 19th. But, I am trying to wait. I also have a great fear of finding something wrong when I am not at the Dr's office. Not only will they be strangers, but I would have to admit my impatience and that I was ultrasounding behind everyone's backs to my Dr, husband, etc. Of course, that would probably be my last concern if something was wrong, but I can't help thinking it now.

One reassuring thing is that I am starting to obviously show now at 15.5 weeks. It is very obvious to me and my husband (and even my Mom and best friend noticed). But, most people dismiss it because I am not very big. I had a very flat stomach before so to me it is a big change, but other just say "that's a pooch?" or "its about time you looked normal." I am normally thin but not painfully so at all. I think some of my friends who gained quite a bit of weight with their pregnancies are a bit disappointed that I haven't gained 20 lbs already. But, I know how difficult body image issues can be so I understand. All in due time I think.

Aside from the baby watch, I have been very busy with work. My "day job" is packed and the extra consulting work I picked up keeps me chained to my desk at night. Argh! I keep walking around the house singing "She Works Hard for the Money..." I am not sure if M is amused. It is all worth it though because the proceeds will be used for my new "nesting" projects. I had a plantation shutter installed in the soon to be nursery and just ordered new carpet for all bedrooms. I am also going to have our bathrooms redone as I have been planning for years. The extra work is paying for almost all of it, so it feels good to know we aren't cracking into our savings which we will really need when the baby comes.

I My work has been incredibly supportive about my pregnancy and upcoming leave. I am very grateful. My boss also submitted me for a promotion effective in January (while I am in leave!) It doesn't get better than that. I think they are trying to make sure I don't leave. And, because I work from home, I don't think I will be going anywhere anytime soon.

So, all in all, things are good. Better get back to work!

"....she works hard for the money...so hard for it honey..." - Who sings that? Donna Summer?

1 comment:

Josefina said...

Well, of course I'd be obsessing just like you, but I think you're pretty safe now!!
And yeah, that secret u/s will probably give you more trouble when you have to explain!!!
And well, if it can help, some doctors don't like to make that much u/s, because they believe (or believed before) they're not so good for the baby (OF COURSE it's a myth, but you can rely on that to avoid obsession!!).
Good luck!!
And wow! congratulations with your promotion!! that's one of the big differences between your country and mine, here they don't even hire young women (some companies) because they're potentially going to be pregnant some time! So really, congratulations!
And Happy 4th of July!!!