So, I was in a hotel for two night last week. And, I had a flashback to my pre-baby self as I made coffee and turned on the Today show to listen as I got ready. (I used to travel quite a bit for work, so hotels feel pretty familiar to me. I have a sweet love for room service, in-room coffee makers, and late night TV when I am traveling for business.)
Anyway -- I am plucking and blow drying listening to Matt Lauer, Ann Curry (so beautiful to me), and Meredith (oh Katie, where did you go?) and the upcoming story is Guy Richie and Madonna's divorce. WTF? Is this news? This is why I stopped watching Good Day LA, I read enough trashy mags to get my fill -- once in awhile I want to feel a little informed. Maybe I should go more hardcore and stick to my old CNN but, I like a little music and cooking now and then.
So, apparently a celeb divorce is a top story these days. This has been happening slowly for the last 10 years and I am afraid we have arrived. I remember being in High School and going to the store to get a fashion mag -- yep -- just fashion, no celeb articles and just pics of models ( models with no names) were on the cover. Those days are no more. I am hoping I keep my sweet girl grounded because comparing yourself to airbrushed photos and the uber rich lifestyles can drive anyone crazy. I am going to work hard to make sure she knows that it is what is inside that truly counts -- no matter what others will do and say.
Don't get me wrong, I think people should care of themselves -- to be healthy and fit. But fit does not mean 90 lbs with bones popping out and healthy does not mean curves purchased from Dr. Jan (nothing against enhancement ladies -- I may go there one day -- you never know.)
Anyway -- I am trying to avoid a spiel about the media's affect on women's self image but I am afraid I have already gone there -- woops. It is just very true and I see how it affects me and want to do all I can to make sure my daughter grows up loving herself and aspiring to what she wants to be ( not what she feels she should be.) But, I have a feeling my little firecracker is going to do just fine. That is the good news.
2 comments:
I couldn't agree with you more. Isn't it amazing, how the media distorts the image of beautiful? It is going to be hard to teach our kids the real meaning of beauty!!! And the news, isn't it crazy? I always trip out on what is "news" anymore.
I love you because you said Dr. Jan. Enough said!
Post a Comment