My positive philosophy about life, things, and just about everything. "Better than most" is pretty damn good so I am not fretting about the rest.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Bumps and bops

This sure is an active baby. I get bumped and bopped all day long? My Dr says this is a great sign but I am hoping this does not mean she will be as hyper as her Mom! My mother often tells me what a difficult baby I was -- colicky and crying all the time. At 21, when my Mom had me, she said she would just cry and not know what to do to make me happy. Not a pleasant scenario. My sister, on the other hand, was a calm and mellow baby. And, although my sister was a big pain in my a$# growing up...I am hoping for a little one of her. :)

I have been feeling great so far and am approaching the 6 1/2 month mark (26 weeks).

I have just started the process of interviewing pediatricians and have 2 appts next week and a phone interview coming up. I was a little turned off that I could only get a phone interview with one, but I started thinking that I could ask all of the questions I want even if is not in person so I will give it a shot. I will definitely bring up the ovarian cyst to see if anyone has had experience with that. It *should* go away on its own in the 1st month but there is always the possibility it won't and may need to be aspirated. So, I think it is an important thing to bring up.

Off the baby subject...I got the strangest call 2 nights ago. My Dad's second wife (unfortunately he has been married and divorced 3 times and is currently engaged to #4) called me out of the blue. She was married to my father from the time I was 13 until I was about 22 called. I have not spoken to her in at least 12 years! We did not have a close or particularly friendly relationship (my sister and I really disliked her for most of the time). But, she called because her father died and she is going through a hard time. I think she is just lonely. She lives in Tennessee and seems to be doing well.

Strange that she would reach out to me -- specifically. The first thing she said when she called (got my number from the Internet) was "This is X...Please don't hang up!" I just said "Why would I hang up?" Funny that some people would hold a grudge for over a decade -- I am just not like that. I always friendly even when some would argue I should not be. I talked to her for over an hour and exchanged e-mails. I have received numerous e-mails since then and it is clear she really needs a friend.

I think I did the right thing by being friendly and supportive even to a woman who did some awful things when I was growing up. I just can't find it in myself to be guard on someone after some much time has past. I still struggle though because I know people need to be held accountable for their actions. If we always just let people off the hook...Do they learn anything? But, is it my place to provide that lesson? I don't know.

I had a girlfriend who had a huge falling out with a woman who was just an acquaintance of mine. I ran into the acquaintance in a social setting and was polite and exchanged pleasantries. When my girlfriend found out she was very angry at me and felt betrayed. She said I should not have been nice to a person who hurt her so badly. It was true that the other woman was in the wrong (had slept with and stolen a boyfriend) but the assault was not personal to me and I did not feel comfortable shunning them when they just wanted to say Hello. I am not sure if I was correct but I know I have a hard time with confrontation and expressing my discontent especially when I am a bit removed from the situation or time has passed. I feel a bit conflicted but I can only trust that I should go with my gut and be polite and empathetic when I do not feel authentic anger or hurt.

Hmmm...thoughts?

No comments: